Monday, December 17, 2012

Christmas Card Cutting Room Floor

November and December usually involve several photo sessions where I dress up my children and am hopeful for the perfect picture for the annual Christmas card.  Ok.  Let's be honest.  The reality is that this does not really ever happen in November even though it should.  It should probably happen much earlier in the year than that but I have this thing about wanting a recent picture of what the kids actually look like at that time.  Miss Mia is a new-bee and sending out a pic of when she was in her alien-like newborn state just won't cut it for me.  I usually begin the scurry shortly after Turkey Day though.  I have these visions of the little elflings in coordinating outfits, perfectly posed with happy little grins on each face. If you haven't heard me say it before it kinda never happens this way.  It usually happens more like this.  I have two or three picture sessions where I dress up the kids in the aforementioned coordinating outfits, they moan and complain and someone, sometimes including myself, ends up crying after their brother punches them or their big sister squeezes the be-Jeezuz out of the little or something of the like.  Because they are wearing the really cute outfits I had planned, in desperation, I resort to bribery.  Which,  in the end, usually only gets me about 10 more snapshots that aren't good enough either.  I then decide to settle on a picture among the 60 that I've taken and show it to husband/dad and he with disgusting nonchalance vetoes my choice for a variety of reasons that make me whine and moan about how hard it is to get a good picture and that I need to get these done so that I can then print, stuff, lick, stamp and send them all out before next Christmas! Are you feeling me here?  I usually end up getting one that I love enough.  But that is after abandoning coordinating outfits, perfect settings and even washed hair or brushed teeth, and learning not to ask Dad for his opinion.  I love getting picture cards. So, therefore, despite my blatant complaining, I will continue this painful but rewarding ritual until my kids outright refuse to gather by the fireplace or huddle on the couch for their dear momma...or at least until these kids are 18, ok.  Because there is a lot of refusal that goes on now already and I usually play the mom card and make them do it anyway.

I have perused these pictures several times and have chosen a selection from the cutting room floor.  These either made me laugh or were really 1st and 2nd and 3rd runners-up to the one picture that made the Baughman Christmas Card 2012.  I will leave it up to you to decide which is which. I will also fore go any usual commentary. Enjoy!



























AND THE 2012 WINNER IS...for those who do not get the coveted (I'm sure of it!) Baughman Holiday Picture Card...

No comments:

Post a Comment