Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Smooshy Carrots.


My son is a good friend. His loyalty and wisdom were glaring this week. Nate came home from school and the contents of his backpack were a little unusual. He unloaded 5 or 6 ziplock baggies of smooshed, rotten carrots. Hhhhmmm? "From where did these come?," we asked Nate. He just kind of shrugged his shoulders, didn't say anything and kept up with the conversation that was already taking place that did not involve smooshy, rotten carrots. So, I asked again, Nate, what are these and why are they in your backpack? Not giving him enough time to give a response I jested, did you think you were going to have to feed the deer? He jumped right at that opportunity and said, yeah, uh-huh, yep, I thought I would feed the deer. The deer love carrots. I chuckled at this but was still perplexed at the amount of smooshy, nasty carrots he was toting around. Was he stealing other kids' lunches or what? I knew they were not his as they were not the baggies that I have used to pack snacks and lunches. Me, the good mother, recognized this fact. My curiosity did not abate and I persisted with the questioning. Finally, Nate unbuttoned his lip and disclosed that one of his best buddies and locker partner, Owen, does not like carrots. Well, that was stating the obvious. So, Nate, being the good friend that he is, told Owen that he would take them home with him and dispose of the evidence that Owen was not eating his carrots! This I found hysterical and frightening. And, of course, I had to share it with Owen's mom. Not to rat out the poor kid but mostly to share my chuckle and recommend that she chooses another vegetable for Owen's snacks. I also told her that I would report back to her if I found any smooshed, rotten celery or cucumbers in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment